Monday, November 21, 2011

New York New York

Note - this is written by Daddy!!!!
Well today mummy had a well-deserved day off to do ladies things with her friends which left daddy to come up with an idea of just what to do for the day. Given your new found interest in trains, Maddie, we decided to head to Dover train station to get on a train and just go for a ride. We arrived just as a train was pulling into the station and got our seats on the top deck and got comfortable. Daddy hadn’t at that point figured out where we were going and sheepishly asked the conductor where the train was heading, he said New York (hot dog! …I thought that, not him) Impulsively I asked if you wanted to go there and of course you both beamed! Before I had time to reconsider I handed over a big chunk of change (narrowly avoiding a fine as I hadn’t bought a ticket on the platform but I told the guard I wasn’t familiar with the whole train thing and he let me off!) and our journey had begun. We then found out that there were over a 1000 stations between Dover and the big Ciddy and this train was stopping at every single one of them, ah well, you guys loved every minute of it and so two and half hours later we pulled into Penn station (which surprised me as I thought we were going to Grand Central, the only station I know). Daddy hadn’t given much thought as to what we would do when we got there, (New York gives him stabbing chest pains at the best of times), and after spending 20mins trying to get out of the station we emerged into a bright and beautiful warm autumn day on this great big busy street and we made our way through the crowds. I realized straight away that my daddy skills were being tested to the max not to lose either of you and also to come up with something interesting to do, Ollie you were brilliant in looking after your sister, holding her hand tightly like a true big brother. You have an affinity for the big city that I will never have, it was written all over you. Maddie, never content to ride in the stroller, you walked the whole time, independent as ever. After a meander for 30mins it became clear that the highlight/destination would be a lunch stop and we headed for 5 Guys (who do make a fine burger), the place was packed, nowhere to sit, our burgers weighed several pounds each and promptly fell to pieces in our hands, and most of it ended up on the floor but we got through it and then decided to head back to the station, the pair of you all the time marveling at the goings on all around you, and soon we were heading home. Maddie you struggled to stay awake on the way back but just about managed though you would have fallen off the seat if your brother hadn’t held you. Ollie you continued to marvel through the window at the various delights as the NJ landscape passed by. Daddy is much happier on the side of a hill than in any city but it was just the best to spend this a great day with you both my lovely lambs, you were brilliant in every way, loving the whole idea of this unpredictable adventure as much as I did xxxxx daddy

1 comment:

Patty said...

I love this (tearing up).