Friday, October 23, 2009

Logs!!

We got a cord of wood delivered here at the house in Maine yesterday, and today Oliver and I set out to get it stacked... Andy's in England right now, and I missed him, especially when trying to maneuver this really old wheelbarrow with a big tire in the front that is completely flat. We even have an air pump here but the tire is so old that its little air valve is shot. SO not fun when trying to move big, heavy loads of wood from one part of the yard to another. Anyway, the weather was gorgeous - sunny and crisp - and when I wasn't swearing at the wheelbarrow, I really enjoyed myself! I stacked almost the entire cord today, and got such a sense of achievement from it. It made me think of how I miss that feeling, of a "job well done," since my full time job now (mothering) is a "squishy" one -- a job where it's really hard to see your progress or achievements.

I thought it would be hard to stack the wood while managing O and M, but I just did it while Maddie napped, and Oliver had a great time helping me and generally running around the yard and being silly. He'd check inside the house from time to time to make sure Maddie wasn't crying. Quite a team! I only have a tiny bit left to stack now, and I'm actually sad it's nearly done... ALMOST makes me think I might like gardening one day, but I'm not holding my breath. We'll see!!

1 comment:

Patty said...

Progress and achievements: two lovely, happy children! Job well done - and doing.