Tuesday, September 20, 2011

England 2011, Day 11 & 12: LONDON!!

Oh lordy, I don't really have any notes for these days!!  All I know is that Andy and I caught the 10:20 train for London for our big adventure *without* the kids!!  Grandma and Granddad had lots of exciting things planned for the kids, and we wouldn't be back in Hayfield until after bedtime the next day!  The big event in London was seeing Uncle David (Granddad Maurice's brother) perform at the Globe Theater as God in a performance of The Globe Mysteries.  Pretty cool, right?!  We couldn't take pictures
during the show, but I took a few beforehand and outdoors.  It was SO fun seeing Uncle David perform, and even if we didn't know everything that was going on, it was completely interesting and so well done.  Afterwards we met David and Andy's cousins Kate and Joe at the pub next door, and Kate's lovely baby, Cecily.  Then we headed out for a curry with David and Joe.  Such a fun evening!  The next day was all about sightseeing in London... our big mistake was not having a "plan," which is good on the one hand because you can just wander around, but on the other hand, there are SO many choices in London
that if you don't pick a few and go with it, all your wandering can make you feel like you're going in circles.  Which we did!  One of the best parts of the day was seeing part of the Changing of the Guards near Buckingham Palace.  Then we strolled by Big Ben and the Houses of Parliament, soooo cool and impressive.  We considered taking a tour of Parliament, but
it was just stupidly expensive and we would have had to come back in 3 hours or something anyway.  We walked along the Thames, admired the London Eye, stopped in the Science Museum, had a quick lunch on some steps in a square at Covent Garden... and then it got crazy.  We decided to take the Underground to Harrods, but after Andy ducked into a little news shop to look for a paper, he apparently came back out and couldn't see me, so he went on to Harrods without me, thinking I must have gone on my own!  As if !  A LOT of time passed, and I just stayed put, having no bloody idea what was the right thing to do at this
point.  I enlisted the help of a very accomodating policeman (pictured), who helped me make a phone call (since my cell phone didn't work here, but thank god I could still look up my contacts) - I reached my sister-in-law Alison, who got Andy on the other line, and we were finally able to reconnect.  Phew.  Unnecessary angst, but it does make for an interesting story.  All in all, a memorable and fun trip to London!! 

No comments: