Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Camp!!!

Our big boy Ollie had his first day of camp yesterday! No surprise, he loved every minute of it. In the morning I made banana pancakes to celebrate the event (ok, it was leftover batter, but they were homemade!!), and I asked Ollie what I should make with the last bit of batter. He asked for a cow (a cow??!), and I did my best... but as you can see, it appears that I made an outstanding terrier!! Witnessed by this photo, he was very pleased with it.

We heard about Lakeland Hills YMCA Camp from my friend Carol, whose son, Ryan, had attended earlier in the summer. He enrolled again for this session, along with Ollie - and for Ollie it's his first time EVER in the care of others, excluding a few hours here and there with family members or a sitter!! So it was a big day for me as well, as you can imagine. Yes, I actually teared up a bit when I dropped him off and watched him dash off to join the fun, immersed immediately in all the excitement. My little boy! Andy dropped him off today, and the same thing happened to him - Ollie jumped out of the car to greet the awaiting counselor, and Andy overheard him say, "You know what?" (a very typical Ollie-ism right now!). Here's a photo of Ollie and Maddie right before we left for his first day. Impossibly cute.

Each day when I pick him up, he apparently remembers nothing of what he did that day, not even what he had for lunch. Although today was a swimming day, he did remember that! By "swimming" I mean floating with special floaty things attached to you... he loved it. Other details come back to him slowly through the afternoon, in dribs and drabs. On my part, I'm already getting used to having a few relatively peaceful hours in the day (especially when Maddie is napping!!). All I know is, Ollie is going to LOVE preschool, whenever we get around to signing him up for it!

No comments: